Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Aug 1994 10:49:21 -0400
On Mon, 15 Aug 1994 14:40:34 EDT,  Marc Abrahams wrote:
>I am the owner of MINI-AIR, which has something over 18,000 subscribers.
>We send out, typically, one item a month to everyone on the list.
>(Only the editor is allowed to distribute items.)
>
>WhenI sent out the last mailing, the list went into a loop.  Most or all of
>the 18,000 subscribers received 6 copies before I found out it was happening.

What puzzles me is, if Marc is the only one empowered to distribute mail to
the list, then howcome the mail from the misconfigured daemon at Alaska.Edu
got posted?

Naturally, this problem occured on a weekend (fortunately Marc was
reachable).  My inquiry to [log in to unmask] back with a 'host
unreachable for three days' from my local SMTP (odd since Alaska spent the
day repeatedly bouncing that 50K message message at the list).

I can imaging the problem creating a lot of junk in the postmaster's
mailbox, but the failure to reply to the list owner brands the staff at
Alaska.Edu as less than exemplary net citizens.  If the primary domain
mailer remains misconfigured, I wouldn't feel quilty filtering
*@Alaska.Edu.

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (203) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (203) 486-5246 fax