Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 11:56:41 +0200
On   Mon,   16   Sep   1996  21:49:56   -0400   "John   F.   Witherspoon"
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>Anyone care  to explain how errors  on the 500,000 subscriber  list (the
>one mentioned here a couple days ago) are handled?

The list is set  for auto-delete, and I don't know what  they do with the
rest of  the bounces,  although I have  a theory about  it :-)  Note that
there is only one  posting per week, so it isn't all  that much more than
your list with 400 subscribers x 100  messages/day x 7 days = 280k weekly
deliveries.

With 1.8c you  will be able to have LISTSERV  probe your list subscribers
from time  to time  and accurately  remove bad  addresses from  the list,
while discarding  all the bounces  that cannot be auto-processed  (ie you
only see bounces from non-compliant mail systems that bounce, say, to the
address in the  "From:" field - bounces that don't  go through LISTSERV).
You would  normally configure the  text of this probe  to be your  FAQ so
that  users are  not annoyed  and so  that you  get some  value for  your
bandwidth.

  Eric