Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 08:31:32 -0400
On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Ben Parker wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Sep 2000 15:34:19 +0200, Fred Melssen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >We want to put the subscribers-file directly on the
> >server (either by way of FTP or just copy it to the server). Is this
> >possible,
>
> This is not possible.  Bulk ADD job by email or the WWW interface (if installed)
> are the only methods.

I a round about way, this is indeed possible. If you think of this sort of
as a list migration rather than a bulk subscription, then it is possible,
but not easy for those who do not know how to program.

The list owner has to get a copy of the list from Listserv with all the
subscription info intact. This copy is then saved to a file on the list
owner's account. The list owner then needs a script that can add new
subscriptions and/or delete old ones by making proper changes to his or
her copy of the list file. There are a few twists to this depending on the
exact needs of the list owner. It is also important to write out the
subscription data with the appropriate subscription options correctly so
that those who are already on the list do not have their subscription
options suddenly changed without their knowledge. After the adjustments
are made, the list owner then can PUTALL the resulting file back on
Listserv or perhaps ftp into Listserv's home directory then stop and
restart Listserv to convert the file into Listserv's native format.