Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 24 May 1995 15:57:36 +0200
          Description of the changes for release 1.8b of LISTSERV(TM)
                   Copyright 1995 L-Soft international, Inc.

                                May 14th, 1995

maintainer's  notes.  The  present   executive  notes  contains  a  brief
description of the most significant  changes in version 1.8b, information
on new supported  systems, new products and new licensing  options, and a
Product Development report. For more information about any of the changes
described in the  release notes, please write to  [log in to unmask] or call
us at +1 (301) 942-8886.

**************
* Highlights *
**************

- LISTSERV  currently ported  to  11 major  unix(R) brands,  OpenVMS(TM),
  Windows NT(TM) and Windows 95(TM)(*).

- LISTSERV-TCP/IP product for VM allows a smooth migration from BITNET to
  TCP/IP on the same hardware. The migration procedure is very simple and
  takes about 4 hours for 100 lists.

- Graduated  and Limited  licenses (now  available for  VM) significantly
  reduce cost of ownership and TCP/IP migration for smaller sites.

- "SMTP controller" paradigm for VM sites: offload the resource intensive
  SMTP deliveries from your VM system to an inexpensive "SMTP controller"
  machine,  transparently to  your users.  Hardware and  operating system
  costs  for  a workload  of  up  to  250,000 daily  deliveries  (weekday
  average) can be as low as US$6,000, with yearly license and maintenance
  costs of US$550  only (academic/US prices; hardware prices  may vary in
  other countries).

- New LISTSERV  High Performance product ("LISTSERV-HPO")  for very large
  workloads.  LISTSERV-HPO  can  comfortably  drive lists  in  excess  of
  100,000  subscribers with  subsecond  response times  -  on a  personal
  computer.

- New  LSMTP(TM) product  announced:  expected to  process 1-1.5  million
  deliveries a day on a midrange workstation with 128M. Refer to separate
  announcement for more information.

(*) For legal  reasons, we may not sell the  Windows 95(TM) version until
    this operating system is  officially released. The software, however,
    has already been ported.

********************* Development Manager's message *********************

When we released version 1.8a of LISTSERV in December 1993, we were about
to embark on a very ambitious  venture: free LISTSERV from its dependence
on mainframe  hardware and on the  NJE protocol, while preserving  a high
degree of  compatibility and interoperability with  the existing LISTSERV
user base. Our original goal was  to port LISTSERV to VMS(TM) and unix(R)
by 1Q95, and  to Windows NT(TM) by  4Q95. This was no easy  task to start
with, and  with no industry precedent  to support the feasibility  of our
porting plan, which did not require  a complete rewrite or involve POSIX,
there was serious  concern among our customers that we  would not succeed
in overcoming  the difficulties that laid  ahead of us. Well,  we had our
doubts and crises, but  we just grinded our teeth and  pressed on. We had
to work double shift for several months,  but we made it, and the results
far exceed our expectations.

Today, LISTSERV is available for both VMS(TM) architectures, for 11 major
unix(R) brands, for  Windows NT(TM), for Windows 95(TM),  and, of course,
for  VM. A  MPE/iX  version  should become  available  soon,  and we  are
considering  a port  to  MVS and  to the  Macintosh(R).  Many sites  have
already migrated to the new versions of LISTSERV. The largest list in the
network, TOPTEN  (over 73,000 subscribers),  runs on a  unix(R) LISTSERV.
The 4th largest LISTSERV site is  also a unix(R) server, and probably the
largest  unix(R)  list manager  in  the  network  with over  2.1  million
deliveries a  week. We already support  more unix(R) brands than  some of
the main competing products, and our unix(R) products perform better than
systems  that were  specifically designed  for unix(R)  and that  are not
portable. LISTSERV now delivers about 10 million messages worldwide on an
average business  day, a threefold increase  from the release of  1.8a in
4Q93. In  fact, we  expect these numbers  to soar as  the PC  versions of
LISTSERV are  released and as  Internet service providers  start offering
mailing lists to their customers.

Naturally, we  do not intend to  rest on our laurels.  The porting effort
will continue throughout  the year, as the database and  some of the more
advanced file server functions still have to be ported to non-VM systems.
At  the same  time  we will  continue to  improve  the functionality  and
performance of LISTSERV to better meet  the needs of new user groups. For
instance, Internet  service providers need to  be able to run  very large
numbers of lists, whereas many of our corporate customers are planning to
start electronic newsletters  with target audiences in  excess of 100,000
subscribers.  Even though  LISTSERV has  always excelled  in the  area of
performance, it was not able to  meet the 50,000 daily subscriptions mark
that some  of our  customers were expecting  after a  large advertisement
campaign  - at  least  not on  inexpensive hardware.  With  the new  High
Performance version  of LISTSERV, which  is being released  together with
version 1.8b,  you can run  such lists even  on a personal  computer, and
with sub-second response time.

We are  also working  on two new  products that will  make it  easier and
cheaper for people to  use LISTSERV. The first is a state  of the art WWW
interface, with support for many advanced functions such as management of
list subscriptions  on an individual  user basis (similar to  a graphical
user  interface, but  with the  advantage that  it can  be used  from any
operating   system  that   supports   WWW),   and  point-and-click   list
reconfiguration for list owners. We do  not have a firm release date yet,
but  we have  made good  progress  and expect  that the  beta will  begin
3-4Q95.

Our  second new  product is  a  high performance  SMTP delivery  program,
called LSMTP(TM),  which was specifically  designed to handle  very large
volumes  of mail  and  require  as little  maintenance  and attention  as
possible, while  implementing the  latest SMTP protocol  extensions. This
product was developed through a partnership with Altmayer & Associates, a
consulting firm headquartered in Bonn,  Germany. LSMTP is already used in
production by two of our customers, and  is expected to be able to handle
up to 1-1.5 million deliveries a day on a mid-range workstation with 128M
of    memory.   LSMTP    is   particularly    well   suited    to   large
announcement/newsletter   lists  because   it  handles   massive  message
submissions very well. In under a  minute, it will have opened 1,000 SMTP
connections and will  be delivering that many messages  in parallel. Even
normal lists  will benefit  from this degree  of parallelism,  of course.
LSMTP is also ideally suited  to Internet service providers, large campus
mail servers, etc.

Our goal and ambition is that, by 1Q96, it should be possible to run just
about any LISTSERV  workload on hardware costing under  $10,000, and with
point and click ease. Small  businesses, K-12 schools, community colleges
and other "low budget" organizations should  be able to purchase a normal
PC server,  install LISTSERV and  LSMTP, click through  the configuration
screens, and announce their first  mailing list 30 minutes later, without
ever having to worry about babysitting mail queues or getting patches for
the security exposures of the month. Our customers are demanding "install
and forget" solutions,  and this will be  one of our main  areas of focus
for the next 12 months.

   Eric Thomas
   Manager of Design & Development
   L-Soft international, Inc.

********************** BITNET to TCP/IP migration ***********************

Many of our customers, including some of the largest LISTSERV sites, have
successfully migrated to TCP/IP. As of 9505, 7 out of the top 20 sites in
terms of volume delivered were already running LISTSERV-TCP/IP, and 8 out
of the  20 largest  LISTSERV lists  were managed  by TCP/IP  servers. The
migration  procedures are  now ironed  out,  and with  our new  licensing
schemes  for  smaller sites  and  the  research  we  have been  doing  on
inexpensive mail  delivery servers, migration  costs are lower  than they
were a year ago. Perhaps the  most visible outcome of this experience and
research is that, whereas we had  about a dozen offers and solutions last
year, we can now  handle 95% of cases with just  two migration plans: one
for sites that have decided to phase  out VM, and one for sites that have
long term plans for their mainframe systems.

Plan number 1: VM system to be phased out within 12-18 months

If you  are planning to phase  out your VM  system, the only issue  to be
resolved  is which  system  you  want to  migrate  to (unix(R),  VMS(TM),
Windows NT(TM)), and when. In most  cases these choices will already have
been dictated  by strategic management  decisions; if you  are hesitating
between several possible operating systems,  we will be pleased to assist
you.

In  this scenario,  you  will  need a  LISTSERV  license  for the  target
operating  system,  hardware  on  which  to  run  it,  and,  possibly,  a
maintenance  contract for  your existing  VM license,  depending on  when
exactly  you intend  to  migrate. For  moderate  workloads (50,000  daily
deliveries or less), you can usually  run LISTSERV on an existing system.
For larger workloads we recommend a dedicated machine.

For  your LISTSERV  license, you  have three  options, depending  on your
workload, growth plans, procurement policy, and so on:

1. You can purchase a  perpetual, unlimited capacity license, which comes
   with  one  year  of  warranty  (new  versions,  bug  fixes,  technical
   assistance).  From year  2, you  purchase continued  maintenance on  a
   yearly  basis,  at your  option.  This  is the  traditional  licensing
   solution, which we recommend for large workloads.

2. Alternatively,  you can rent  a "graduated license", which  includes a
   limited capacity license and a maintenance contract (new versions, bug
   fixes, technical  assistance) for  a yearly  charge. You  can purchase
   capacity upgrades at any time, as  your needs change. This is the best
   solution for  smaller workloads - you  pay according to the  number of
   lists you are using, and there is no initial investment.

3. If you are operating on a  small budget, you can purchase a perpetual,
   limited capacity license without maintenance (these licenses come with
   only three months  of warranty). Later, as new  versions are released,
   you will have the options to  purchase upgrade kits, and naturally you
   will also be able to purchase capacity upgrades, even if you elect not
   to purchase the new versions.

In most cases,  the optimal licensing policy is a  simple function of the
number  of  lists  that  you  are   running.  On  the  other  hand,  some
organizations find it  much easier to obtain one-time  money than regular
funds  for maintenance.  In such  cases, it  may be  more appropriate  to
select the first option even if the  workload does not warrant it. We can
also bundle  up to 3  years of maintenance with  options 1 or  3. Contact
[log in to unmask] for more information.

Plan number 2: long-term future for VM
--------------------------------------

If VM is staying,  the simplest solution is to keep  all the lists, files
and other LISTSERV  resources on VM, where your users  expect them to be,
while offloading the resource intensive SMTP deliveries to an inexpensive
system  (which you  can view  as  a kind  of "SMTP  controller" for  your
mainframe). Even  on the  very largest VM  LISTSERV sites,  LISTSERV only
consumes a few  percent of one CPU.  It is the SMTP  servers that account
for the  bulk of the mailing  list cycles, and  that do so much  I/O that
each server essentially  renders one volume unusable  for other purposes.
There may  be reasons to migrate  LISTSERV to another machine  of course,
but resource consumption  is simply not one of them.  By keeping LISTSERV
on  VM, you  simplify the  migration  considerably -  for your  technical
staff, for your users, and even for your operators:

- Because the lists and other LISTSERV resources remain on VM, the change
  is totally transparent to the users. Only the most technical users will
  notice the  extra "Received:"  line in mail  headers. Others  will just
  think  the mainframe  was upgraded,  tuned,  or just  had spinachs  for
  breakfast.

- Naturally, leaving  the lists  on VM  also means  significantly reduced
  manpower  costs for  the  migration. A  simple, one-line  configuration
  change directs the deliveries to the "SMTP controller". You do not need
  to  rebuild  the  lists,  recreate   file  catalogs  and  list  archive
  structures, etc.

- The  mainframe,   with  its   high  reliability,  24h   operations  and
  centralized, dependable backup procedures is  the perfect place to keep
  your mission  critical data.  Many PC and  workstation systems,  on the
  other hand, use a  file system where the integrity of  your data is not
  guaranteed; files may be lost or  corrupted following a power outage or
  system failure. In fact, this is  the second largest source of incident
  reports for the workstation versions of  LISTSERV. There is no need for
  you to go through  any of that when you can simply keep  the data on VM
  where it is safe.

- The "SMTP controller", with its more limited RAS and backup procedures,
  will not contain any permanent  mission critical data. Because the only
  customer data  on the machine  is the  in-transit mail queue,  you will
  probably not need to back up the machine regularly (the SMTP mail queue
  is similar  to a RSCS/BITNET  spool queue for a  high speed link  - the
  files are processed so quickly that  not even daily backups are of much
  use). In  a way, the  SMTP controller is  similar to an  8232/3172: you
  back it up every time you install  a new software revision, or then you
  back up the  media containing the software upgrade kit  so that you can
  reapply it  on top of  the original  distributions if the  worst should
  happen.

- You can  use the VM system  as a backup while  you repair/reinstall the
  SMTP controller, whereas  if LISTSERV were on the  SMTP controller, you
  would have no service when it  goes down. SMTP controllers are so cheap
  that you can even buy two for redundancy.

While L-Soft could sell you a turnkey SMTP controller, it is usually much
more cost  effective for academic  sites to build one  themselves, taking
advantage  of   the  generous  academic  discounts   from  most  computer
manufacturers and available on-site expertise with non-mainframe systems.
Here is how you can implement your migration at the lowest possible cost.
You will need to purchase:

* The SMTP controller  hardware and operating system (see  below for some
  possible hardware selections).

* A "DISTRIBUTE-only" LISTSERV license for the SMTP controller (typically
  US$550/year including  maintenance, but please  contact [log in to unmask]
  for a binding quote).

* A maintenance contract for your VM LISTSERV and/or LMail.

* A LISTSERV-TCP/IP license upgrade for your  VM system, if you also want
  to migrate  from BITNET to TCP/IP.  If LISTSERV is the  only reason you
  subscribe  to  BITNET,  this  is   usually  more  cost  effective  than
  continuing your  BITNET membership. Switching to  TCP/IP also insulates
  you from the problems associated with  the BITNET core saturation; in a
  worst  case  scenario,  the  TCP/IP  servers  can  be  reconfigured  to
  completely ignore the existence of the overloaded BITNET servers, using
  the Internet for routing and delivery. The BITNET servers, on the other
  hand, are  intrinsically captive as  they can only operate  through the
  BITNET network.

Technically,  the  "SMTP  controllers"  can be  any  PC,  workstation  or
server-based   system  running   any   operating  system   with  a   SMTP
implementation that can handle your workload. In practice, the goal is to
save money, so you will want a PC or workstation based system. Since this
machine will have  no interactive users and (as we  have seen) no mission
critical  data,   the  only  aspects   that  really  matter   are  price,
capacity/upgradability,  and  the general  level  of  reliability of  the
hardware and operating system.

Using  PC technology,  a SMTP  controller  with a  sustained capacity  of
360,000 daily deliveries  (suitable for workloads with  a weekday average
of 250,000 or less) can be had for as little as US$6,000 (US price from a
major, "serious" manufacturer with 3 years of warranty). In practice, you
will probably  want to  spend a bit  more for a  more robust  design with
redundant fans and power supplies,  ECC memory, additional SIMM slots for
upgradability,  thermal  monitoring,  UPS, weekend  and  evening  service
coverage, etc. A top of the line, high availability PC-based solution can
still be  had for  under US$10,000  - or you  could just  buy two  of the
$6,000 systems for redundancy.

Of course, with academic discounts it may be more cost effective to use a
workstation system. We  are only mentioning the PC  based systems because
we have found that  most VM customers assume that a server  or at least a
high-end  workstation  system is  required  for  workloads in  excess  of
150,000 per day. In fact a simple  PC can handle much more than that. You
can  migrate your  workload off  VM  even if  your total  budget is  only
US$10,000 (US estimate; hardware prices may vary in other countries).

lists meant a couple hundred, and "a whole bunch" of subscribers would be
a total  of 50,000.  Having been designed  for scalability,  LISTSERV was
able to handle these workloads very  well. Today, a very large list would
be 75,000-100,000 subscribers, a lot of  lists would mean 500-1000, and a
whole bunch of  subscribers would be 100,000-200,000.  LISTSERV can still
handle these workloads without problem.

Tomorrow's  customers, however,  are  looking at  much larger  workloads.
About 6 months ago, a large corporate customer asked us if LISTSERV could
handle  50,000  daily  subscriptions  to   a  list  of  100,000  or  more
subscribers. They were planning to  start electronic newsletters for some
new  products, and  wanted to  advertise  this Internet  presence in  the
press. Their  marketing department  estimated that there  might be  up to
50,000 subscriptions a day, and they wanted to know what kind of hardware
they would need  for this. Naturally they wanted a  scalable solution, so
it had  to be possible  to double  the capacity for  at most 3  times the
original cost. Well,  LISTSERV could not do it. We  looked at the fastest
non-mainframe  systems available  at the  time, and  found that  LISTSERV
would barely  meet the  50,000 requirement.  Being the  top of  the line,
these systems  would not be  upgradable. With  peered lists and  a second
system,  we might  have  been able  to  make  it, but  this  was not  the
customer's idea  of a simple,  robust, easy to maintain  solution. Unless
you were  willing to  buy a  Cray, this  problem could  not be  solved by
buying faster hardware.

Many other  corporate customers expressed  a similar interest.  Some were
expecting 500,000 to  1,000,000 subscribers in one year.  Others had more
modest needs,  but the postings were  time critical and had  to reach all
250,000 subscribers in an hour, barring  a network outage. These were all
problems for which  no solution existed, but for which  there was a clear
business need.  So, we decided  to work on  these problems, and  the High
Performance version of  LISTSERV (which we dubbed  "LISTSERV-HPO") is one
of the  solutions we have  developed to  meet these needs.  Combined with
LSMTP,  LISTSERV-HPO should  be  able  to meet  the  needs of  tomorrow's
customers.

But  LISTSERV-HPO  is not  useful  only  to  customers with  millions  of
subscribers and tens  of thousands of daily subscriptions. If  you have a
large but more  modest workload, LISTSERV-HPO can help  you decrease your
hardware costs. To give you an idea of what LISTSERV-HPO can do on modest
hardware, here  are some figures from  benchmarks made on one  of our LAN
servers  - a  90MHz  Pentium(R) with  32M of  (non  EDO) memory,  running
Windows NT(TM). This is the kind of system that most people buy for their
LAN services nowadays.

  After  creating a  list  with  100,000 subscribers,  we  added 100  new
  subscribers  (with the  QUIET  option, to  measure  the performance  of
  LISTSERV and  not that of the  mail system). The elapsed  time, for all
  100 users, was 2.2 seconds. That is,  the average ADD time per user was
  0.022 second elapsed. Naturally, in a real world case you would not use
  the QUIET option, and it would take  a few seconds to a few minutes for
  the users to receive the welcome  message. But these are fixed resource
  costs which  do not  depend on  the size  of the  list. The  time spent
  actually adding  the user to  the list is  0.022 second -  with 100,000
  existing subscribers.  The mail  delivery tasks scale  up very  well to
  multiprocessor systems, and are the kind  of problem that can be solved
  easily by purchasing more hardware.

Of course, you probably do not run lists with 100,000 subscribers, nor do
you need the ability to deliver  millions of messages a day. You probably
have a  few lists  in the 5,000-20,000  range, generating  around 250,000
daily deliveries (M-F) which historically  have been doubling every year.
Your purchase must  last at least a year, because  this is your budgeting
cycle, so you  need a machine capable of handling  at least 500,000 daily
deliveries,  and preferably  750,000  to avoid  bad  surprises. You  were
planning on  migrating this workload  to a high-end workstation  with two
processors, 192M of  memory and 6 SCSI  disks on two SCSI  buses for good
swapping response  time, with a list  price on the order  of $50,000. You
know  that this  configuration can  do 250,000  daily deliveries  easily,
because others  have done it,  and you can  reasonably hope that  it will
scale up to 500,000.  Beyond that, there is no hard  data, because no one
is running  mailing list  workloads generating  more than  around 450,000
deliveries on busy  days (except on VM).  In fact, there are  a number of
known scalability  problems with sendmail,  and another known  problem is
that, on a system with hundreds  of sendmail processes and heavy swapping
rates, it may be difficult to  make the LISTSERV process run smoothly and
not accumulate a backlog.

With LISTSERV-HPO and LSMTP, you could run your 500,000 daily workload on
a workstation costing around $20,000  list. For another $5,000, you could
add the necessary memory to allow LSMTP  to use the system to its fullest
and reach an  estimated 1-1.5 million daily deliveries  (see the separate
announcement  for  more  details   on  LSMTP's  performance  and  planned
availability). You save $25-30,000, get  more capacity, and the assurance
that you will  not run into unexpected scalability problems  as your load
increases. The reason this solution is so much cheaper is that LSMTP does
not create  a new process  for each connection,  and thus requires  a lot
less memory.  This also means  your machine does  not swap, and  you only
need to provide I/O bandwidth for  the mail queue. You can handle 500,000
deliveries  with  just   64M  (assuming  the  workstation   is  not  used
interactively, or at least not  with X-Windows), with the standard system
disk that comes with the  machine and an additional high-performance disk
for the mail queue. To double your capacity, you simply double the amount
of memory from 64M to 128M.

******** Free LISTSERV-HPO upgrade for early VM TCP/IP customers ********

Customers who purchased our LTCP-9000 package last year (or its corporate
equivalent) will receive  a free upgrade to the  High Performance version
of  LISTSERV-TCP/IP for  their VM  system.  This upgrade  includes a  new
perpetual license for LISTSERV-HPO and a free maintenance upgrade for the
current maintenance  term. At  the end of  the current  maintenance term,
customers  will  have the  option  to  renew  their maintenance  for  the
LISTSERV-HPO product,  or to  revert to the  regular LISTSERV  product to
save on maintenance  charges. For VM customers with  large workloads, the
difference in maintenance charges is expected to be less than the cost of
the  CPU cycles  saved  thanks to  the enhanced  algorithms  of the  High
Performance version.

LMAIL, L-SOFT, LISTSERV and LSMTP are trademarks of L-Soft international.

Unix is a registered trademark of UNIX Systems Laboratories, Inc.

OpenVMS and VMS are trademarks of Digital Equipment Corporation.

Windows and Windows NT are trademarks of Microsoft corporation.

Pentium is a trademark of Intel Corporation.

All other trademarks, both marked and not marked, are the property of
their respective owners.