Wed, 24 Aug 1994 23:50:11 -0500
This dialogue between Eric and Mel has been most interesting.  Having a
devious turn of mind, it seems to me that implict in much of it is the
message which I will now make explicit:

It's time for a list coup d'etat.

I won't think of everything, but it seems some of the steps would be
sort of like this:

First, get the subscription lists of all the peers, but be sure you block
access so they can't get your list.  If some of the peers are cooperative
you can make exceptions, but don't be too trusting (be sure you have all
the info for each peer before they know anything of your intentions, but
they can't get info on yours).  Don't forget to change the list password
and your personal password (you don't know how good they may be at forging
email).

Add the subscribers from the other peers to your list.  Break the peerage.
Announce that your site is now the sole site for the list.  Then duke it
out with the former peers (you can keep peers you think are cooperative).
After some acrimony, subscribers will decide which list they want to be
on, best list wins.

Total chaotic anarchy for a while, but it would be interesting to see how
it works out.  Mind you, I'm not advocating anything like this approach.
It's just sort of a thinking-out-loud excercise.  But if something like
this were tried I think the details of the procedure and the outcome would
be fascinating.

So I have a sick mind. What else is new? ;-)

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]