Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:52:31 -0500
At 00:40 02/14/2003 Friday, Stan Horwitz wrote:
 >On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Mike Mariani wrote:
 >>
 >> I need this to automate a publication my less technically oriented
 >> coworkers will be sending out.  It is an announcement list, so there are
 >> only a few folks who will have publishing privileges.  Can you help me
 >> with this?
 >
 >Why don't you put this information in the subject of each message? I do
 >not see a way to automate that type of thing from a Listserv sandpoint,
 >but there are plenty of other ways to approach this requirement such as
 >only sending out the publication through a script that sets the subject
 >header of the outgoing message in the way your described.

Alternative -- once a day, send the list the output of a daily INDEX
NOMIME distribution.

e.g.,

From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: FINAID-L Index - 12 Feb 2003 to 13 Feb 2003 (#2003-35)
To: Recipients of FINAID-L indexes <[log in to unmask]>

Index  Date  Size Poster and subject
-----  ----  ---- ------------------
004454 02/12   27 From:    abcd <[log in to unmask]>
                   Subject: Re: Web Sites

004455 02/13   65 From:    wxyz <[log in to unmask]>
                   Subject: Currency Converter

The sizes shown are the number of lines in the messages, not counting mail
headers.

To order the messages you are interested in, simply reply to this message and
include the original text, just as when you are replying to a normal message
and want to quote what your correspondent said. Before sending the message,
delete the lines corresponding to the items you are not interested in, and make
sure your reply is going to "[log in to unmask]", NOT to

Pete