Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:27:45 -0500
>>The following 5 subscribers are currently being monitored:
>>
>>Err First Last  Address
>>--- ----- ----- -------
>>                Last error: Host unknown (Name server: dead.end: host not
>>                            found)
>>
>> 53 02/03 02/10 "5.7.1NOTALLOWEDTORECEIVEMAIL:BUTLERTJ"@PLU.EDU
>>                Last error: User unknown
>
>[...]
>
>>Subscribers will be automatically deleted from the list when delivery errors
>>have been  reported for a  period of  2 days or  more, or when  100 delivery
>                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Why hasn't the Listserv deleted these two users, if they've been
>getting errors for more than 2 days?
>
>What am I missing here?  (And, in the case of both users, I
>can't delete them...)

As you note, the addresses aren't subscribed to the mailing list.
Therefore, LISTSERV can't delete them.

[log in to unmask] is probably a fake address used by some site to
indicate that the message is completely undeliverable, but you could scan
for ABSOLUTELYNOTHING and DEAD.END on the off-chance that it's a synonym
for a subscribed address ([log in to unmask] or some such).

The second one probably matches something like [log in to unmask]; I'd scan
for BUTLERTJ@

The scan command I've been referring to works like this:

        SCAN LISTNAME pattern

looks for the string 'pattern' anywhere in the subscriber list for
LISTNAME.  You can use wildcards in the pattern if you want to, so

        SCAN LISTNAME butlerj@*plu.edu

will find [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]

If you have renewal or probing set for your mailing list you can just
ignore these rogue addresses, secure in the knowledge that they'll be
purged the next time renewal comes around.

-jwgh