Harry Dewey <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:53:43 -0500
Questions in this message are directed to Listown-L, NOT to Alpine-L.  A
copy is being sent to Alpine-L subscribers, who deserve an explanation
for the appearance of a totally blank message earlier today.  An equally
important purpose of THIS posting is to seek assurance from the Listserv
corporation that we can hope that blank messages from which attachments
have been deleted need not in future be posted to Alpine-L

The subscriber to [log in to unmask] who attempted to post a
message containing an attachment (the spring catalog of his nursery),
was obviously unaware that Alpine-L is configured to reject attachments.
Fortunately, the sender's email address was included at the beginning of
the blank posting, so that our members who are interested in his catalog
of bulbs can write for a copy: Russell Stafford, Odyssey Bulbs
<[log in to unmask]>  Please do not post to Alpine-L your
requests for a copy of his catalog.

          ATTENTION: lISTSERV MANAGERS

It has always been my understanding that our software at Surfnet (the
network of the Netherlands Information Consortium) automatically rejects
blank messages.  Perhaps the initial presence of a rejected attachment
disqualified this particular blank posting from the rejection normally
accorded textless postings.

Can the Listserv management rewrite its software in future versions so
as to avoid the acceptance of textless messages?  Is there any way I can
reconfigure Alpine-L so that ALL blank messages will be rejected?

The message, as it appeared today on Alpine-L, even lacked our customary
bottom banner.  Evidently the Listserv software, sensing that the blank
message was going to be rejected, did not care to waste a bottom banner
on a message it thought would not be posted.  I really don't blame the
software; in fact I rather admire both its frugality and the
intelligence of its insight.

I expect to pass along to Alpine-Lves any optimistic assurances about
future blank message suppression that any Listserv personnel or
subscribers care to send this way.

Cordially yours,

Harry Dewey, active listowner, [log in to unmask]
Russell Stafford wrote:

--
Harry Dewey <[log in to unmask]>
(lifetime email address; please use no other address)