"M. LEBLANC" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 20:54:29 -0500
Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>|Someone seems to have quoted part of a distribution that I
>|sent out last night, in a subscribe request that they sent
>|to Listserv. But, their subscribe request *seems* to
>|have been posted from *my* email address??? (Is there some
>|other way that the name associated with my address would
>|be changed?)
>
>Sounds like a RESEND operation by the receiver back to the LISTSERV.
>Remember that a SUBSCRIBE listname command from an existing subscriber
>"just" changes the name.
>
>It might be that a VALIDATE=YES would help/hurt.

Thanks Pete. I don't know a whole lot about RESEND, but
I guess I get the idea of it all. Somehow listserv
would see the From: line within the resent message and ...

it would need the exact sequence of

From: [log in to unmask]

SUBSCRIBE HWY61-L Xxxxx Xxxxxxxxx

to change the name on the turning_pt subscription? And this
could be effected with a RESEND? But isn't it supposed to
use the actual return address on the subscribe request, whether
it's sent with a RESEND or an original email, or am I missing
something obvious here?

I *do* have the line:
Validate= yes, confirm
in the list header, so that's another reason that I'm still puzzled.

Tested this yet again by sending another
SUBSCRIBE HWY61-L G. LeBlanc
and rec'd a msg from Listserv stating that it had changed the name
associated with my subscription to G. LeBlanc. No confirmation
requested.

So, I tested with an old "throwaway" account (one not listed as
owner) just to see if it was "an owner thing" and ... same thing.
No confirmation necessary to change the name.

Hmmm...

Maureen