Mary Schweitzer <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 18:31:13 -0400
People on Hotmail are quite capable of deleting the echoes -- it's just
a sign they are probably computer newbies.

The only folks with real problems in this direction are the webtv
group.  And you just have to tell them no quoting.  They have to try to
paraphrase.

If I have somebody who cannot seem to learn how to do it, I will try to
find out what software they are using and explain how.  AOL is a little
weirder than most in how it puts copies in replies.

Right now I have someone whose software only puts the person's NAME in
the email mesage -- that is, they can only see "listserv list owners'
forum", not [log in to unmask]

So they don't know how they can send something privately.  I'm stumped
on this one.  This person is such a newbie she can't figure out what
software she is on.  Any suggestions as to how to help her out would be
gratefully received by both of us.

at any rate, after trying to help them learn how to do it right, I may
have to ask them to NEVER quote at all, or I may have to put them on
review (edit them personally) to make sure that they don't have too many
echoes in the posts.

With the sole exception of the webtv folks, all cases where somebody was
echoing excessively turned out to be sheer ignorance.  As I see my job
as a facilitator, I'll try to help them out and it works most of the
time.

Now, my subscribers have a disease that strongly impacts cognitive
functioning -- so if WE can learn how to use echoing correctly, surely
YOUR posters can.  <g>

Mary Schweitzer
mailto:[log in to unmask]
the CFIDS/M.E. Information Page:  http://www.cfids-me.org/