Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 May 2006 22:48:23 -0600
On Wed, 24 May 2006 13:36:42 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>The suggested design was a radio button front end to a group of listserv
>lists- click a button and subscribe/unsubscribe to the list. Folks could
>have multiple subscriptions to the same channel (e.g., email, text to
>phone via email, etc.) The key driver is one place to go to do this, an
>extremely simple front end. We would need to have a db table to track the
>subscriptions, both to support the "multiple subscriptions per person
>model" and for performance reasons (using Listserv to retrieve all
>subscriptions for one person takes too long on our system).
>
>There are obviously lots of buried issues with doing this.

I suggest you carefully read the LISTSERV Development Manual Chap 6 about the
TCPGUI interface.  This should allow you to build your "front-end" and have it
issue various commands to and receive responses from LISTSERV.  Note that
TCPGUI generally has priority over emailed commands/responses.

First you need to clairify and define your requirements, then you'll know what
parts of that you can have LISTSERV do for you.