john riehl <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 13:08:31 PST
On Thu, 9 Feb 1995 10:22:19 -0600 Leon D. Wald said:
>Mike Ramundo wrote:
>>Over the last 3 weeks, I've received a slew of rejected responses-to-
>>confirmation-requests.  All of the responses have been addressed to
>>owner-LISTSERV   They appear to be automated 'REPLY's ( i.e. sender
>>appeared to type REPLY - not type the address from scratch)
>>The only thing that they seem to have in common is that the FROM and/or
>>first RECEIVE header has the string "MSMAIL" ... somewhere in it.....
>
>I've been plagued with exactly the same problem. I think you are correct in
>that MSMAIL does not supply the proper return address when a user selects
>"REPLY". Is there any way we as list owners can deal with this efficiently
>and automatically?

No, the problem is on the other end.  The reply, seems to select an
invalid tag field, owner-<listname> instead of using the reply to, or
anything else.  I have been given contradictory explanations as to why
this occurs.  It is not clear to me that the MSMAIL site can correct
the problem by configuration.

If MS Mail can be reconfigured would someone PLEASE give EXPLICIT
instructions as to what needs to be changed.

Other than that, the best thing you can do is to ask your ms mail
users to not do that.

jr
(john riehl)