Sat, 15 Jan 2000 00:27:51 -0600
On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, rex wrote:
> If it never starts, no one is the wiser that they were temporarily set
> to "review."

No one the wiser?  You think they aren't going to notice something
is going on with their postings?

I don't like prior restraint, though have used it in extreme situations
where the subscriber has ignored legit warnings.  Heck, I know what sort
of response is going to be generated by certain post, would be a pretty
poor listowner after this many years if I didn't.  Trying to stop the
problem  before it starts, though, can be worse

> The alternatives of possibly letting a flame war start, or preventive
> review with notice to the subscriber, have serious disadvantages. The
> disadvantages of the first alternative are obvious, and the second is
> likely to offend the reviewed subscribers who, after all, have done
> nothing -- yet.
>

> A related question: Are subscribers on a moderated list notified that
> their messages have been sent to the moderator? If so, what is the
> procedure for turning this notification off?

They may be, to turn it off use the .mailtpl.

I made a sweeping statement earlier as I tend to do that.  There are
instances where one would not want the "submitted" notices sent out;
send by owner, fully moderated, etc.  But those instances cover everyone
who subs to the list, no exceptions, and we ain't talking about that, but
about discussion lists with some on REVIEW and some NOREVIEW.  Trying to
hide things there can get you into trouble if you go playing games with
subscribers subs because, well, maybe will say something unpleasant.

Douglas