Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:09:17 -0500
"LISTSERV list owners' forum" <[log in to unmask]> wrote on
11/23/2004 10:32:18 AM:

> Never ascribe to malice what it's perfectly reasonable to ascribe to
> incompetence.

And incompetence is abundant!

>                More of a case that there is a lack of trust of skill
> levels. I run a bit over 100 lists for one client on different
> topics.  With the exception of a small handful of lists where I also
have
> subject matter control,  I and one other tech person are listed as quiet
> owners and our sole functions are to change the headers configuration.
> Other owners are told to leave the configuration alone, not because we
> expect evil, but because we expect screw ups by people who think they
> understand what they are doing, but don't.  If they screw up to the
point
> where they've removed the two techs as quiet owners, then our sight
> administrations, who manage something like 1000 lists in all, have to
step
> in.

We do the same thing (except I am the site manager).  Myself and one other
are quiet owners on all lists and the real owners are told to leave but
subscribers alone.  And they do!  Telling them that the list will quit
working if they mess with it seems to have gotten their attention.
Apparently the original poster felt the list owners who should only have
been working w/ subscribers would muck up the list settings.

Even a puppy can be trained to stay away from where they shouldn't go.