Mike Ramundo <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Jul 1994 10:20:47 EDT
My site runs IBM, VAX and UNIX equipment.

I set up a LISTSERV discussion list for a 'communications' class -
most of whom subscribed from their VAX accounts.  Whenever anyone
posts to the list, the item gets distributed to all 500+ subscribers.

The problem is, each item delivered to an ID on the vax contains a
X-Envelope-to header which lists all 500+ subscriber ids on that
system.  A one line message gets 8-10 SCREENS of headers.  Some of
the VAX mailers can be set not to display those headers but they
are all included in the users 'notebooks' - resulting in 'notebooks'
that are 90-99% overhead ( and VAX notebooks, a.k.a. folders, cannot
be edited as easily as VM ! )

     Is there anything that can be set in the LIST headers to prevent
the formation/inclusion of the X-Envelope-to header ?
     If not, is there anything that can be done on a VMS system ?
( PMDF setting/setup at system or user level ? )

TIA - mike