Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:04:05 +0100
> When a list owner submits the 'add' command via email, the owner must use the
> following format for the new subscriber's email address and name:
>
>        [log in to unmask] Henry Brown
>
> When a list owner adds a subscriber using the web interface, the owner may
> use either of the following formats:
>
>        [log in to unmask] Henry Brown
>        Henry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
>
> This inconsistency creates confusion and leads to errors.

There is no inconsistency. The web interface just issues an ADD command with the supplied parameters. It is the ADD command that parses the address. So there is no difference in supported formats between the web interface and e-mail.

>        Henry Brown [log in to unmask]

That's not a valid address. I don't know a single mail client that accepts it, although I'm sure there is one somewhere that does.

> LISTSERV interprets this information in the following manner:
>
>        Name: Brown [log in to unmask]
>        Address: Henry

You are right, LISTSERV is in error. In terms of user expectations, Outlook sets the standard, and it interprets this information as follows:

Name: none
Address: "henry brown henry"@somehwere.com

One could make a case for changing LISTSERV to comply with Outlook, but I would only consider this case if the Outlook interpretation resulted in a valid e-mail address, which is not the case.

  Eric