Jane-Kerin Moffat <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:14:51 -0500
>On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Tom Rawson wrote (SNIPS):
>
>  > Can someone explain.....
>  > Err First Last  Address
>  > --- ----- ----- -------
>  >                 Last error: Unavailable; DSN status was 5.2.1
>
>Many of our home.com addresses are doing the same thing...

I wonder if part of the explanation may not lie in "Last error:
unavailable" and/or in the portions of the domain address to the left
of home.com.   All my home.com subscribers are subscribed  as from
"@home.com" pure and simple.   However, all the home.com error
message I am receiving have, like yours, added designations in the
domain name to the left of "home.com."

Although different, these  added portions all pertain to the same
relatively small geographic area in my state.  Home.com subscribers
living elsewhere are not affected.   (Easy for me to know, as the
lists in question are small subscription-by-owner lists,  and I
require full contact information from all subscribers.)   One of the
bouncing @home.com subscribers recently asked me to change her
address, explaining that her erstwhile local carrier has filed for
Chapter 11.  I assume that is the reason for the other error
messages, also.  My manual deletion of the address does not stop the
error messages, though.  I'll be interested to see if they disappear
when they reach the auto-delete cut-off level.

A different bounce problem:   Our listserv host automatically  runs
periodic random probes and automatically deletes addresses
registering 20 probe failures.  (Listowners have no control over
this.)  Recently a subscriber at hotmail was automatically deleted
due to probe failures, although I have never had a  problem in
communicating directly with  that address  before, during, or after
the probes,  nor with list mail to that address since reinstating it.
My guess is that hotmail was reading and rejecting spam  the probes
as spam.   If that is the case, can any of you suggest some way to
prevent this from happening again?  Or have any of you another
suggestion?

        Jane-Kerin Moffat