Adam Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 12:14:04 -0600
On 2/15/98 11:45 AM, Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote...

>>and do not  really care about what the server does  or doesn't do for
>>an extended period of time while they are asleep :-)
>
>Midnight on the US East Coast is peak usage time on the West. If you were
>mostly concerned with a US base, then 5 a.m. EST would cut the digest
>between the days. But that isn't a default option, and with a worldwide
>subscriber base a random time is just as fair as picking a day end for a
>sliver of the world. And it could nicely even the load out.

That's what I have my primary discussion lists set to, 5:00 AM ET. I've
found that that's the time when absolutely no one posts, so it makes
sense to send out the day's digest then. Midnight tends to be one of the
busiest times for my lists, when people are checking their mail before
bed. I felt sorry for the Digest users, who were getting a digest that
would come out right in the middle of everyone's discussion. The 5:00
digest tends to capture that day in a much better manner.

--
Adam Bailey      | Chicago, Illinois
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-| "Do not take life too seriously;