Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 20:41:02 +0200
When  the list  owner removes  a user,  the farewell  message isn't  sent
because  in  most cases  its  contents  aren't appropriate.  Typically  a
farewell message says "I'm sorry to hear you're leaving XYZ-L, if there's
anything we could have  done to make you happy and  not leave, please let
us know  and we'll give  it all consideration  blah blah blah".  In other
words, the  farewell message prompts  the user to  get in touch  with the
list owner and speak  out his heart. When you kick out  a user this isn't
an  appropriate thing  to  say unless  you're deleting  the  user at  his
request because  he doesn't know how.  Then he's usually told  you why he
wants off.  If not  you can  ask, with  most mail  programs it's  easy to
include a "canned" reply in your message and customize it as needed.

  Eric