Michael Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 22:51:04 EDT
>On Sun, 5 Sep 1999 16:53:29 EDT, Michael Holloway
>wrote:
>
> >Apparently, Brightlight filters out the message because of the blank
> >Return-Path line, and some bug causes the messages to disappear into the
> >ether.
>
>It's not a bug, it's just that they are flat out blocking such mail, an act
>which makes them non-compliant with internet mail standards.  Check the
>LISTSERV
>Support FAQ:
>
>   http://www.lsoft.com/lsv-faq.html#5.16

There may be some confusion here.  The FAQ discusses a blank From field
causing some servers problems.  The From field isn't blank in the
Brightlight filtered messages, but the Return-Path line is.  Also, the
Brighlight service is not supposed to lose messages.  Filtered messages are
supposed to be available to the subscriber through a web interface.  I can
see the spam that's being caught, but the LISTSERV messages are not there.
The server admin has verified from his logs that the messages were sent.
This appears to be a bug.