Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:37:55 +1100

> Can anyone figure this one out....  [log in to unmask] is not
> subscribed to this list...

This looks suspiciously like a 'subscribed with one address, forwarding
to another' situation compouded by a confusing DNS on the recipient's
end.

>     SMTP error from remote mailer after HELO
> lfallback0.lnd.ops.eu.uu.net:
>     host mail.any-mail.co.uk [62.189.161.194]: 550 Domain
> any-mail.co.uk does
> not accept mail from lfallback0.lnd.ops.eu.uu.net

Well, a quick check of MX records shows that mail.any-mail.co.uk *is*
the primary MX for downen.com.  The secondary is fallback.mail.uk.uu.net
which appears similar to the one shown above.  I'd hazard a guess that
it's attempting to take a circuitous route but mail.any-mail.co.uk isn't
set up to properly accept mail from lfallback0.lnd.ops.eu.uu.net (which,
as its name suggests, appears to be a 'fallback' server).

The website at http://www.any-mail.co.uk/ shows it's a "free e-mail
service, making use of over 18,000 domain names".  Maybe that's 18,000
chances for a stuff-up, too.  As for uu.net, well, that is (or was)
WorldCom.....good luck there.  We've had quite a few uu.net subscribers
here in Australia that had major e-mail routing problems after
WorldCom's meltdown.

Have you got *any* subscribers with downen.com, any-mail.co.uk, or
uk.uu.net addresses?

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.