Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 22:00:38 +0000
Here's an informative article from tomorrow's New York Times:

  http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/technology/05AOL.html

And here's an interesting quote from there:

> Users will be able to specify that unpaid messages from a particular
> person or company should never be treated as spam, as they can do
> now.

That might be a saving grace for list mail.  But users will in effect
have to actively opt out of the new no-more-mass-whitelist AOL policy.
This may be a significant technical barrier for a number of
unsophisticated users, no matter how easy it may seem for us technical
wizards.

Also: while users might be allowed to whitelist addresses that appear
in the From: field, will they be allowed to do so for the Sender:
field, which is the only way to identify a list's address in incoming
mail?  If not, then we Listserv people are still up a creek.

  - Roger Burns
   Manager of CFS lists based at ICORS.org,
   Charitable Listserv sponsored by L-Soft