Susan King <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 30 Sep 1995 09:42:39 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote in a message to All:

 MS> On Tue, 26 Sep 1995 10:01:43 CST, Katherine Villyard wrote:
>I'm sure AOL is reluctant to do anything to this guy since he's a paying
>customer.

 MS> Fortunately, AOL has several million customers--one more or less
 MS> has negligible impact on the bottom line.  I know many Internet
 MS> users regard AOL subscribers as less than pond scum, but that
 MS> attitude is seriously misplaced (once upon a time we were ALL
 MS> beginners, and many AOL accounts are owned by Internet users who
 MS> graduated from their .edu accounts, changed employers and
 MS> whatnot--they ARE US!).

Yes, you are correct... I have even just now gotten my company going on the
internet... after 1 year of harping. Being in the Travel business.. we travel
alot.. and we now all have AOL accounts to communicate through while we are on
the road, local access numbers is a MUST. I never thought I would have an AOL
account.. but the little I use it.. I have enjoyed very much. As
moderator/listowner for JewishGen, I just used the Reference Library and
scanned the newspaper section for my surnames.. I have about a meg of data to
go through.. so there are benefits abounding for many of us.

 MS> AOL management has been EXTREMELY cooperative and responsible about
 MS> problem users.  Those of us who managed lists in the old days (1986
 MS> :-) love and appreciate David O'Donnell and his overworked staff.
 MS> We remember having to deal with postmasters who were busy system
 MS> programmers "volunteered" for the job by their boss who responed to
 MS> inquiries with "what's a list?" or "What's an RFC" or "Oh yes, we
 MS> know our mail software doesn't conform to Internet specifications
 MS> and we're working with our vendor to correct it--we'll have it
 MS> taken care of in six months or so...maybe" and even sometimes
 MS> "tough ****" (when they answered at all).

Having over 200+ AOL subscribers to our list.. and having gone through the
latest software upgrade hassle with them and the way subscribers got the
digests has been an horrendous experience. Once the AOL folks realized the
problem they have bent over backwards to work through the problem and have
taken the time to deal with the disgruntled subscribers. On the whole, in my
case specifically, the AOL subscribers are first time computer users.. but long
time genealogists... many elderly.... why I have several women who are in their
70's who have called me at home to tell me how much their involvement with this
one particular list has changed their lives. Personally, I am proud to be
involved in something which has touched so many lives.

So, the major services do provide a service to those who would not naturally be
a part of this new world we are all involved in.

 MS> How long has it been since awaking to discover over 1,000
 MS> undelivered mail messages from some host (usually in the UK over a
 MS> holiday) mailing back to the list and cycling through loop after
 MS> loop?  It would have been much worse, but in those days the
 MS> host-to-host speed was only 9.6 kbps.  My how things have changed.
 MS> Today's hassles are comparatively trivial.

Yes, today's problems are different. I much prefer helping the 70 year old's
wade through this new technical world than dealing with SPAMMER's and in our
case who are sending Anti-Semitic posts to many of our subscribers. After the
problems at many Jewish sites several months ago, this list was set to "by
owner" but the mail still keeps coming. There is no doubt, they are getting the
addresses from the s.g.jewish newsgroup posts. The origination of these
messages are not from the major services.. but from those who know how to
manipulate the address so you can't figure out where they are coming from!

I, for one,  am really tired of this!!! Give me the first time AOL subscriber
whose life is being changed by their ability to access the "superhighway" any
day over those who "abuse" the unwritten rules of the road!!!

 MS> /s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (860) 486-2489
 MS> voice    Professor of Marketing                          (860)
 MS> 456-7725 fax    http://mktg.sba.uconn.edu/MKT/Faculty/Sewall.html

 MS> ___
 MS>  - Origin:  (1:106/270.6)
 MS> @EEN-BY: 106/270