Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:17:16 -0700
On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:09:12 EDT, John Roraback asked:

> Can anyone tell me if when you have created a listname address alias if
> the [aliased-listname]-request@ domainname address also works?
>
> eg, if you have aliased a list named:  "POLITICS@anyserver-domain"
>
> to:   "US_POLITICS@anyserver-domain"
>
> will the address "US_POLITICS-request@anyserver-domain" direct mail to the
> listowner also?

We use two aliases for our list functions:

[log in to unmask] is an alias for [log in to unmask]

[log in to unmask] is an alias for [log in to unmask]

I tried modifying both addresses to [log in to unmask] and
[log in to unmask], but both of them bounced as "User unknown".  I
assume this is the equivalent of what John was requesting.

However, you could set up another alias for the -request address.  Whether
or not you can do this depends on the level of service you have with your
ISP.  We have unlimited aliases with our ISP.  At last count, we had 118
aliases set up.  (A lot of these have to do with individual aliasing for
an organization, like my [log in to unmask] alias.)  We could set up
[log in to unmask], for example, as an alias for
[log in to unmask] if we wanted.  However, this
would not prevent the actual -request address from being shown in the
Reply To: field of the "You are subscribed" and "Usage guidelines"
messages.  I'm not sure whether this can be changed.  All of the mail
generated by [log in to unmask] shows the actual addresses in
the message headers, regardless of the aliases we have set up for them.

==
Best wishes,

Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Co-Administrator, EEAC Web Site and mailing lists
http://www.eeadopt.org