Fred Atkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 23:39:28 +0200
        Earlier today I got a subcription request from an address given as

        No name was attached to the request, just the address.

        I fingered the address but the server refused the connection.  I then
did a 'whois' on 'gallup.com' to find that it appeared to be the Gallup poll
company.

        I was a little apprehensive because I was afraid my list might be
exploited for commercial use or telemarketing, an activity which the users have
agreed is not allowed.

        I emailed the address asking him (1) to resubmit with name and (2) if he
had any telemarketing intent explaining that we did not allow it.

        I got a reply from [log in to unmask]  These  two paragraphs (of his
response) made me yet more apprehensive:

>Now Fred, I know you know the difference between a poll and a telemarketer.
> If someone is gathering opinions they are a pollster.  If someone is
>selling something over the phone they are a telemarketer.
>
>People do confuse the two, but when they think about it they realize that
>they knew there was a difference.

        I think he has commercial interest based upon his response.  The fact
that he responded from an address other than the one he attempted to subscribe
from fuels the fires of my suspicions.  Could it be their intent to broadcast
polling information over my list?  Or does anyone here have a different opinion?

        If he wants to participate in a non-commercial way, I would not want to
deprive his use of the list.  I wouldn't even mind if he just watched the list
and used the information that the users normally send.  However, I don't want a
big scene started if he starts sending polls that are obviously commercial in
nature.

        Feedback is greatly needed here.  Thanks.

                                                        Fred

  }Graduate Student/Johns Hopkins Univ./Telecommunications Management{
             }B.S. National Louis University/Management{
  }A.S. Midlands Technical College/Electronics Engineering Technology{

             }Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator/WB4AEJ{
    }Licensed General Class Commercial Radiotelephone Technician{
   }N.A.R.T.E. Certified First Class Telecommunications Technician{

                }Second Degree Blackbelt/Tae Kwon Do{

               }Home Page: http://www.wp.com/fatkinson{