Mon, 11 Sep 2000 13:50:06 -0500
> What I do is ask them to privately identify themselves
> off-list to my private e-mail address. This often allows
> me to see their "injection" IP address, >and< makes
> an explicit "contract" between me and the new member
> that they are who they say they are.

> I ask for three things: 1. their full name, 2. full names
> of any others who will likely be reading the mail sent
> to that account, and 3. a "very brief" reason why they
> want to join.

This is a lot of work.. and probably does nothing really except perhaps
intimidate some people and force others to just lie.  IF someone is using a
web based email program.. or even if they aren't.. knowing their IP via a
private email to you doesn't help much in many cases.

As a rule.. I suggest to folks that they not give out personal information
over the net.  Period.

I co-own a number of support and some purely social lists - we do not
subscribe by owner, except on one.. mainly to avoid any implication that
we can vet subscribers and guarantee in any way that they are who they
say they are and are on list for the reasons they say they are.

Since we can't do that.. and we know people will lie [especially since I
often suggest people do just that] .. and what you described is a lot like
work with very little if any benefit.. we let listserv handle subscriptions..
and do have all new subscribers on REVIEW by default to protect the lists.

Over the years.. I can't remember any spammers being onlist.  Our few
problems come from hurt feelings and other list stuff that just happens in
any "community" on or offline.

Every one is different though.. no one way to manage an email list for sure.

  ...Cleo  [log in to unmask]