Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 03:44:14 -0500
At 10:22 PM 12/19/96 EST, Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Lawsch-l is a gated newsgroup/mailing list.
>>
>> I've suddenly been getting "possible spam" notices for what appears to be
>> every posting from netnews to the mailing list. Any idea why this is
>> happening? I haven't made any recent changes...
>
>Once the spam filter picks up a post that came through the gateway,
>the gateway gets marked as a spammer.  The only way around it that
>I know of is to disable the spam filter for the list (Loopcheck=Nospam).

Oooooh!!!  There is a God after all!

These gateways *are* becoming spammers, and if nobody wants to moderate
them, I'm all in favor of having Listserv software start bouncing the
posts.

Sorry to seem elitist, but Usenet is getting to be such a cesspool of
spam these days that it seems ridiculous to have any serious mailing
list open to it without some kind of control.  Sure, mailing list
subscribers can spam, but they have to at least subscribe first, and
*that* can be controlled, and problem posters reviewed if need be.

Oh, and the better (IMO) way to solve the original poster's problem
is to unsub the gateway.  So there!!!  :-)

Happy holidays, everyone!
Stan "scrooge" Ryckman ([log in to unmask])

ps - maybe I'm extra cynical because I never got my L-soft t-shirt.
Bah, humbug!