Wed, 14 Dec 1994 19:51:00 -0600
On Tue, 13 Dec 1994, Vickie.Banks wrote:

> But some of our off-site moderator's are finding that when
> THEY forward messages to their lists, LISTSERV insists on
> putting the moderator's address in the From: line instead
> of the original poster's address.  The original poster's
> address then gets lost in an x-From: or other line that
> is stripped by many mail readers.

It depends on your mail system.  For some you may have to find work-
arounds and with some the From: field will always be that of the
editor, nothing you can do (unless you want to gripe at the creators
of the mail system).

> We're fairly sure that there's nothing that can be done
> with Eudora or EMC2 mailers.  But some say that ANY off-site
> mailer will cause LISTSERV to put the Moderator in the From:
> line, and there is no way to fix it.

The later is not true.  I really don't know anything about Eudora,
but from what others have said on this list, perhaps using Redirect
rather than Forward will work.

I use Pine most of the time, but can't use it for forwarding to the
list mail I get as editor as my address will go in the From: field.
So I switch to Elm and use the "bounce" feature.  Unless they study
the full header the subscribers never know it came through me.
Drawback is I don't get a copy of the message when it is distributed,
even though I'm subscribed.  Eric explained it to me (he set up a test
list at SEARN for me to try it out and he could see what was happening)
but I don't remember the details, something about an improper Resent:
field or something like that.  But it does work reasonably well.

> Does anyone have a simple guide for what conditions will
> generate what sort of From: lines -- and any settings that
> can help get them the way we want them?

From what Eric told me, the mailer has to generate certain fields in a
certain way, and some mailerss just flat won't, nor provide half
acceptable substitutes, which Elm does.  You'ld need to know exactly how
each mailer you want to use works when you use Forward, or Bounce or
Redirect, or other such features.

Douglas
        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner