Thu, 9 Feb 1995 15:04:22 -0500
Hugh Jarvis <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Anyone know the apprpriate references regarding the copyrights of
> subscribers who post to Net lists...?  I am getting the impression that
> they have rights over their material, that it can not be reposted to
> another medium without permission, and that personal messages can not be
> posted to a list without similar permission...

        I cobbled up a little copyright notice for the WWII-L mailing list
that is included in the introduction.  I have no way of knowing if it is
binding but everyone on the list seems content with it.  I put it in when
someone asked a member if they could collect the archives, store them on
CD-ROM, and market them.  Feel free to use it if you care to.  Below is
the text:

        Copyright issues are a major problem on the Internet.  As far as
I'm concerned, messages sent to this list are the intellectual property
of the person who sent the message.  Members should not freely relinquish
their rights.  If members don't expressionly copyright their material,
then I will assume that the material is still owned by the poster and that
the list is the custodian of the information.  My policy will be to allow
material to be reproduced only if it is done free of charge and is not
altered in any form unless, of course, the owner has other requirements
that would supercede this policy.

        This is my first draft so I would appreciate any feedback from
members.  My intent is to prevent people from acquiring gain, finanical
or otherwise, from information that appears on this list without getting
the consent from the authors of that information.  If anyone can word
this intent better than I did above, I would like to hear from you.
Thanks.

Joe Barone, WWII-L Listowner