George Frajkor <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:11:30 -0500
Chris Anderson wrote:

> This is very true.  However, I keep coming back to the question: as a writer
> of email, is my job to communicate, or to save bandwidth?  I submit that
> bandwidth is meant to serve my communication needs, rather than the reverse.

      Your job is both.   Communication is just as effectively
disrupted when no one listens as when no one talks.
  There are parts of the world where bandwidth is not available, or
else it is very expensive.  There are (believe it or not) parts of the
world where Microsoft Word is not the chief word processor nor web
browsers the only way to read mail.
   If you want to talk to everyone, use language they ALL understand.
In our case so far, that is ASCII text.

    Jan George Frajkor                      _!_
 School of Journalism, Carleton Univ.      --!--
 1125 Colonel By Drive                       |
 Ottawa, Ontario                            /^\
 Canada K1S 5B6                         /^\     /^\
 [log in to unmask]      /   [log in to unmask]
  o: 613 520-7404   fax: 613 520-6690  h: 613 563-4534