Jacky Foo <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 08:58:35 +0200
I use REV listname BY COUNTRY frequently - more often than the other REV
commands "REV listname BY NAME" or  "REV listname by USERID". So I find
these LISTSERV commands very useful and essential for my work and
especially useful since I manage lists that have hundreds and thousands of
names.

LISTSERV's directory of names of subscribers for mailing list has a
presentation I prefer than that which MAJORDOMO or LISTPROC offers.

It is true that ORG, EDU, NET, etc. was a USA initiative and is used by
many countries. The use of this naming system is not the issue here.

My concern here and for discussion is when the LISTSERV software provides a
directory of subscibers by COUNTRY, the information it provides is
__incorrect__. I think that LISTSERV needs to make the correction in this
error.

It can be corrected.

The mechanism that LISTSERV uses to sort addresses is based on country
code. ZM is for Zimbabwe just as US is for the USA.
e.g.
* Zimbabwe:
[log in to unmask]                 J M Gopo
[log in to unmask]                      Dr. James Nqindi
[log in to unmask]                      P. J. Kelly
or
* USA
[log in to unmask]                 Charlene Thiemann
[log in to unmask]                  Mary Hauner
[log in to unmask]          Rob Clark
[log in to unmask]                Eric Leitzinger

and all other names where the country cannot be determined should be put
under the existing LISTSERV category called  -
* Country could not be determined for:

here are some examples:
[log in to unmask]            Jacob A. Donkersloot
[log in to unmask]                              Bethany Cockrell
[log in to unmask]                      Jannes Schoemaker
[log in to unmask]                Dana Focks
[log in to unmask]                  Sarah L. Coffin

regards
jacky foo

P.S: I think that people who make fun of other persons names are just
happily childish, childen enjoy doing that.....BUT adults who still
continue to do that unfortunately did not have the proper upbringing !.