Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 Jun 2006 19:58:30 -0600
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 18:21:15 -0500, Winship <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> I had to put "public" in the line -- and after that, the addresses
>> were masked (except to subscribers with a password). Which is what I
>> wanted.
>
>N.B. He says "subscribers with a password".  He does not say nonsubscribers
>with passwords.  "Subscribers with passwords" = private list.

Doug raises a good point.

If you have Notebook= ...., Private then only the following groups can view
the message archives:

  Subscribers
  Owner(s)   (Owner=)
  Site Admin(s)  (POSTMASTER=)

All of these groups must always login to see the messages (whether via a saved
'cookie' or manually).  No addresses are concealed, because when you login,
you have already authenticated yourself as belonging to one of those groups
and you are entitled by that membership to see the complete message, addresses
and all.

If you have Notebook=...., Public then any of the following groups may view
the message archives

  Non-Subscribers
  Subscribers
  Owner(s)   (Owner=)
  Site Admin(s)  (POSTMASTER=)

In this case, all addresses in the message headers (From:, Reply-To:, CC:,
etc), and in the message content (including message body, and signature lines)
are obscured (login to unmask) UNLESS you login (note that having a saved
'cookie' will always automatically perform a login whenever necessary, so you
have logged-in even if it doesn't appear that way to you).  When you login,
then addresses are no longer concealed, regardless whether or not you are a
subscriber or non-subscriber.

This is a protection from web-crawlers and other automated scripts trying to
harvest addresses because such scripts cannot (yet) perform the
'get-a-password, confirm-it, then-login' functions.
It is not a protection from unscrupulous humans.