Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Nov 2017 12:44:19 -0500
From: "Russell Hunt"

> All the lists I'm talking about are populated by academics, mostly in the
> humanities, and are, of course, subscriber-only posting. So it has been
> possible to simply forbid attachments; people mostly just send text
> anyway.
>
> It does mean, though, that with the advent of Outlook, which attaches its
> own files without telling the sender, that more and more subscribers
> encounter bounced posts and don't know what to do about it. Here, as in
> most situations these days, I see only bad news in the future.

As long as you can get by with forbidding attachments, lists supported by
ListServ should be able to avoid such trouble with the
     Attachments= NO,filter
configuration setting, as suggested earlier by Peter Weiss. The "filter"
tells the list to clean any attachments off the message before distributing
it.

So for the lists you're concerned about, it's just a matter of getting the
list owner's attention to fixing the configuration.

Hal Keen