Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:17:55 -0500
A. Ralph Papakhian wrote:
> i frequently get messages like this in a digest from OCLC-CAT
> ([log in to unmask]), where the message is duplicated, first
> in plain text, and then repeated with all kinds of html coding.
> i can't figure out what kind of setting to use to eliminate
> the duplicate message with all of the coding. please advise...

There are two problems here, first: the list allows HTML and, for all
I know, all other types of attachments, and second: posters to the list
commonly include in replies the entire text of the item replied to, even
if it is a reply, or a reply to a reply, or ..., inluding all the HTML
of each prior item.  This makes total hash of the list digest very quickly.

As to the first problem, I have asked the listowner several times to change
the list header to Language= NOHTML  and Attachments= No.  I have never
gotten any reply fromt the lisowner, about anything, so I quit asking.

The only item I ever posted to that list, suggesting the above, since the
listowner wouldn't reply to me, and that perhaps folk should change there
email settings so as not to send HTML copies (gave an url for info on how
to do that), and that maybe it was not necessary to quote *everything*
every time one replies to the list got me, effectively, banned from posting
to the list (listowner won't answer my questions, about anything, but will
block my postings).

Ok, due to the excessive quoting, and all the HTML repeats, the list digest
is virtually unreadable as DIGEST NOMIME, besides making the digest
enormous for just a few postings.  I use Pine, and see that you do also, so
this should work for you (a variation may work for those with other
mailers).

I set the list to DIGEST MIME NOHTML.  That gives me a listing of the
attachments.  I look at the digest and open the attachment listing. There
are two listings (t least) for each posting.  Hit "s" for the first of each
(has the Subject:) that you are interested in to save it to a mail folder
of your choice.  Exit the attachment section. Go to the mail folder/file to
which you have saved the items and each will be an individual email item.
You can read, reply, or save to some other mail folder/file, each one as a
separate email item.

Complain to the listowner if you like, she may listen to you, but she
totally ignores me, other than blocking my postings to the list.

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]