Wed, 18 Sep 1996 23:05:32 -0500
> >sub listname Firstname Lastname
> >
> >It is reasonably clear
>
> No, it  is not clear  at all.

When I say it is "reasonably clear" I mean a person of average intelligence
can probably figure out the intent with a bit of thought.  Compared
with the multifarious city, county, state and federal forms in the U.S.
it is a model of clarity, and most people can at least figure out the
basics of how/where to put in the name, address etc. despite great variance
between the many forms.  One can reach the proper answer through reason
(not *always* the case with govt. forms) so it is reasonable.

>                               A  lot of people  think that their  name is
> their  e-mail  address.  Others  think  that  their  name  is  "Firstname
> Lastname". With the  notable exception of AOL, very few  people have mail
> programs that  don't include a  name, and if they  do they get  a message
> telling them to resend the command with their name tacked on.

This is what I dislike about extracting the "name" from the From: field:
there is no telling what you will get.  Not infrequently it is not the
form of the person's name desired (the comp. center set it up and I don't
know how to change it but I don't like it), or the person knows how to
change it and the "name" has work place, address, phone number, fax number,
etc.  All this sort of stuff can make total hash of the subscription list
if one does a rev sorted by name.  I don't use this often but I have a
colistowner who does and, as I have time, I try to keep the list clean
so it sorts properly.  Making sure the "names" are properly present
cuts down on the amount of time I have to spend on that.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L