Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Dec 1994 14:44:41 PST
On Wed, 28 Dec 1994 15:42:47 -0700, Pat <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Another question about error messages--For several days all messages on my
> list sent to [log in to unmask] have bounced with this message:
> "550 Unable to resolve recipient address for 3 days"

According to the Internet name-servers, there is only *ONE* domain
name-server for the 'FERRIS.EDU' domain, namely 'WHEEL.FERRIS.EDU',
i.e., there is no "backup" DNS (which "resolves" names, like 'MUSIC.FERRIS.EDU'
into IP-addresses) defined.

So, given that 'WHEEL' is now *NOT* providing any services, including DNS
services, all names within the 'FERRIS.EDU' cannot be "resolved",
as you've observed.

> I have several subscribers at this address, which was fine until this
> happened. Should I (1) Ignore the problem and wait for it to resolve?

Given that it's been three days since 'WHEEL' went down,
(which implies that the University could be "closed" until the New Year),
you should "save" the posting(s) which are not deliverable,
and retransmit them when 'WHEEL' comes "up", next year.

You could try telephoning somebody at Ferris State University,
in Big Rapids, MI, at (616) 592-2143 or -2144, and leave a voice-message.

> (2)Set subscribers at this address to NOMAIL for awhile?

That will prevent you from receiving more-of-the-same messages,
but, it doesn't "solve" the problem.

> (3) Do something else?

Take a lash to those administrators who define a THREE-day timeout,
especially due to the lack of attention paid to computers during
the TWELVE days of Christmas.   :-)

> What's going on? How come an address suddenly goes bad?

Computers go "down" -- especially when not watched.  :-)

> I have another address(HERN.GWUHP.GWUMC.EDU) from a new subscriber that is
> getting the same error messages.

This is a "different" problem, not all related to the above,
except for the observation that there is only *ONE* DNS defined
for the 'GWUHP.GWUMC.EDU' domain, namely 'Torpedo.GWUHP.GWUMC.EDU',
so, it could *possibly* suffer from the same problem as defined above.
But, I *can* deliver E-mail to 'HERN.GWUHP.GWUMC.EDU' and 'CRASH.IS.GWUMC.EDU',
so, either it's a "different" problem, or the problem you've experienced
has been "fixed".