"(Joan Korenman)" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 10 Oct 1992 16:05:21 -0400
	Earlier today, Douglas Winship wrote:

>     Below is the original message about the person who could neither
> subscribe becasue she was already subscribed nor unsubscribe because
> her e-mail address had changed.  I had assumed she couldn't subscribe
> because Rev. List Proc. does check the real names on subscriptions.
> Joan Korenman doubts this is the case.  Can anyone clarify this?

        The situation he describes is indeed puzzling--I'll leave it to
more knowledgeable listowners to try to explain it.  The one thing I can
say with some assurance is that the problem doesn't involve the
subscriber's real name.  I say this for two reasons.  First, I know a
number of people who have more than one subscription to a list; they use
the same name but different e-mail addresses.  Furthermore, if listserv
didn't function this way, people with common names (Bob Smith, Judy Brown)
would continually be told that they can't subscribe to a list because
someone with that name has already subscribed.

	Joan Korenman        Internet: [log in to unmask]
                             Bitnet:   korenman@umbc