"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 02:31:31 -0700
On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Steve Wilson wrote:

> tell me what the difference is between -
>
> > Record last updated on 20-Feb-2001
> and
> > Database last updated on 12-Jul-2001 04:15:00 EDT?
>
> You'd assume that updating the first would update the second and that
> therefore the two dates would be the same ...

Same difference between the date you last changed address and the date the
phone company updated its phone books.  Just because the phone company
prints new books today doesn't mean you had to report a change of address
or phone number today, see?  The database updates very often.  One
particular domain record doesn't necessaily change that often, but there
are millions of domain records, and on any given day at least one of them
has changed (added, deleted, expired, change of ownership, etc.).

> 2) Is a 'Domain server' another term for 'name server'?

Yes.

> 3) Why have 2?

For backup purposes.

--