"Ingrid H. Shafer" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:28:55 -0500
This brings up a question that has been bugging me.  Occasionally,
especially when I visit websites outside the U.S. I find references
to one or more "mirror sites" and the suggestion to access the one
closest to me geographically.  This makes no sense to me because
the beauty of cyberspace, I presume, is precisely the *absence*
of geographic restraints.  European sites take no more time to load
than my local provider 40 miles down the turnpike.  Now, I can see
having mirror sites for extremely popular locations because too many
people logging on to a single site might indeed clog access, and I
can see suggesting to try one of the other URLs if any one is
not accessible, but this business of thinking in terms of physical
space seems irrational.  Am I missing something?

Thanks, Ingrid
[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]