Michelle Wilbers <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:25:02 -0600
Thank you, Ben, for your excellent assistance. That is exactly what I
needed - and then some.

complaints by AOL users in 1 month may cause AOL to block mail from my
server.", let me say that you are absolutely correct about this. If you do
not send a large quantity of mail to AOL from your IP, a few spam complaints
can tip the balance of your good-mail-to-spam ratio against you in a big
hurry.

AOL's policy is extremely hard on small companies, who lack the resources to
follow-up on each and every spam complaint. Yet, if you do not do so, your
good-mail-to-spam ratio will put you on AOL's blacklist. The repercussions
from this are not just a bit of inconvenience - customers close their
accounts when they cannot get their mail delivered. It can be absolutely
disastrous.

I understand AOL's reasoning for not providing the complaining subscriber's
email address to the list owner. Subscribers would likely fear reprisals for
making complaints. Problem is, their system ends up going too far in
protecting the customer's privacy. By not providing this information to
*anyone* involved, they are facilitating the making of false spam
complaints. We have already had an incident on a busy list, where one of the
subscribers became upset with the group, and took vengeance by clicking the
report spam button for every list email he received. He thought it would
cause the list to be shut down and contacted us to find out why it was still
up-and-running (which is how we found out what was going on). Of course, the
list was not affected in any way, but we ended up being blacklisted. I would
imagine this sort of thing happens with a fair amount of frequency.

With that, I'll drop the subject.

Michelle