Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:43:56 -0500
On 9/23/2005 11:37 AM, Kevin Parris wrote:
> Unless the message is from one of the moderators - then only the
> originator is presented the message for approval.  This "exception" is
> specifically the object of discussion - we have a need for *every
> message* regardless of origin to be presented to *every moderator* every
> time.  One particular case illustrated by this comment "...the original
> poster who went to a meeting and is now unavailable" from Pete Weiss
> below, meaning a moderator sent a message to the list, but is no longer
> at their desk by the time the approval notice shows up in their email
> inbox, and nobody else is presented with a notice, so the message
> doesn't get distributed in a timely manner, waiting for the originator
> to return from the meeting.

If the originator of the message is an editor/moderator of the list, and
the LISTSERV server sent some sort of request to the originator, but not
to any of the other moderators, then the message sent by the server was
almost certainly a posting confirmation request, not a posting approval
request. These are different messages which serve different purposes.

A posting confirmation request is sent to the apparent originator of a
message when the list is configured with 'Send= ...,Confirm' (this is the
syntax for 1.8e; it may have changed in 14.3 and/or 14.4). The purpose of
the posting confirmation request is to prevent forged messages from being
posted to the list or forwarded to the moderator(s) for approval. If the
apparent originator does not respond to the posting confirmation request,
the message will eventually be discarded. After the originator completes
the confirmation process, the message will either be distributed to the
list subscribers, or forwarded to the list moderator(s) for approval,
depending on the list configuration.

A posting approval request is sent to the moderator(s) when the list is
configured to require moderation, and the message originator is not
authorized to post to the list without moderation.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator