Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 10:59:45 EST
Hi,

I am switching a mailing list that I have been maintaining using local
software over to a listserv.  My question regards how to do the initial
switch-over.  I'd like to sign everyone on my mailing list up for the
listserv.  My problem is that I only have email addresses, not real
names.  I'd like to just sign everyone up using the "real" name
"Gymn Subscriber" or similar and encourage them to change it themselves.
But my understanding is that if I do this this name will overwrite their
real name for any other mailing lists they may be subscribed to on the
same listserv.  I know that I don't need to use a real name if they already
subscribe to a list on that listserv, but I'm sure some of my subscribers
are already on a list and others aren't, and I don't know which group any
individual belongs to.  So... what I'd like to do is somehow specify that
the name I'm providing should only be used if there *isn't* already a name
on file for that person.  Is there a way to do this?  Any other suggestions
for my situation?

Thanks a lot,
--Robyn