Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:51:55 -0500
On 1/31/2012 09:47, Pete Weiss wrote:
> This technique is useful in the management of organizational lists (been there ... done that) -
>
> A common list-owners list this is used to indirectly reference a common set of lists' owners so that
> when the common lists' owners change, each individual list need not be updated, just the common list e.g.
>
> Call list C, th list of related lists' owners composed of the following subscribers:
>
> address1@host1
> address2@host2
> address3@host1
>
> Further, define list headers for lists X, Y, Z
>
> OWNERS= (c)

Correction: Owner= (c)

> Thus when an owner is added (or removed) for lists X, Y, Z, only the subscriber(s) from list C must be
> altered.

We make extensive use of this technique. We use the same technique to define common sets
of list editors (people who can post, not people who moderate).

We use this technique to provide our permanent full-time Help Desk staff with owner-level
access to most lists hosted on our LISTSERV servers (2 servers, ~50K lists). This makes it
much easier for Help Desk staff to provide assistance to list owners. The Help Desk staff
has been instructed to "look but don't touch" without the list owner's explicit knowledge
and permission.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team