Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 23:05:29 -0400
>I have received an error report indicating that our server apparently sent a
>reply to a rejected post to the list instead of returning it to the
>originator.
>
>The template generating this reply was the
>[MSG_POSTING_REJECT_BAD_ATTACHMENT] one, which is divided into particular
>cases. The empty-message case is the one used, probably because the sender
>tried to post in HTML and we're configured to strip it.
>
>This happened with LISTSERV 15.0, but I think I saw it happen earlier
>(probably with 14.5) and never figured out what caused it.
>
>I'm not too worried about this instance, as the sender was trying to spam
>us. But there could easily be a case in which this message ought to be sent
>to a legitimate poster.
>
>What controls where this response gets sent?
>
>Hal Keen

It normally gets sent to the sender of the message.  You say it was a
spam message that triggered the response; most spam messages have
forged return addresses, and it sounds like this one had a forged
return address pointing to the list address itself.
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support, L-Soft international, Inc
   LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.

LISTSERV Choice Awards nominations are open until October 1 for all types
  of opt-in email lists and email marketing campaigns. Nominate now and you
   will be entered into this month's t-shirt drawing:
    http://www.lsoft.com/news/choiceawards.asp