Wed, 24 May 2006 23:12:54 -0500
Can anyone tell me why/how, sometimes, when one is using some sort of
Java email system on verizon.net, and one hits the "reply" button,
the From: is the address of the person being replied to?

Exmple.  John Smith <[log in to unmask]> posts to the list.
John Joe Doe <[log in to unmask]>, who is using some Java mail system,
replys.  But, unknown to him, his reply is sent with
   From: John Smith <[log in to unmask]>   instead of the
   From: John Joe Doe <[log in to unmask]>  which it ought to have.

That doesn't always happen when John Joe Doe replys to list postings, just
sometimes, and he says he can't think what he may have done differently.

So, really two questions.
1. What is the verizon.net subscriber, using a Java mail system doing
which causes the automatic address spoofing, by the mail system?

2.  Why is there *any* procedure in Java, on verizon.net, which causes it
to spoof From: addresses?

I really want to know what is going on here as I have several subscribers
using Java on verizon.net, and, well, today one of them was trying to
send me a message and did so by doing a "reply" to one of my list postings
(couldn't remember the right address).  It went to the list, with my
address in the From:, which told LISTSERV that it was a list posting
approved for list distribution by me.  And that is how everyone saw it,
as a list posting from me.  Awkward.

I would greatly appreciate any information about this address spoofing by
Java mail in verizon.net.

Douglas Winship   [log in to unmask]