Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:35:43 -0700
Russ Hicks <[log in to unmask]> [2004-07-30 08:14]:
> I want our new home to be free (or at least VERY reasonable because we have
> no money) and I don't want to get involved with the internal politics of
> other organizations.  I want to be able to sail our own boat in our own
> water.  We've had a couple of offers from other universities, but as we are
> NOT associated with any university, I don't feel that's the proper thing to
> do from an ethical standpoint.

Why not accept one of the offers? If the university personnel understand
your situation and freely offer a list, what is unethical about accepting it?

My LISTSERV list is hosted at AOL and has no other connection with AOL. At
one time, AOL had a Give Back To The Net policy and would host lists they
deemed to be worthwhile to the community. New lists have not been accepted
for several years now, but the existing lists were grandfathered at the
time of the decision not to add more lists. I see no ethical conflict with
my acceptance of their offer to continue to host the list. After all, AOL
could (and would) close the list if it were deemed in the best interests
of AOL to do so. If that happens I'll thank AOL for the years of hosting
service and move on to another server.

Am I missing something?

-rex