Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 25 Jul 1994 16:36:36 EST
My $0.02 on this SIZELIM= thing...

I just set one of my lists to SizeLim=200 because, despite numerous
public entreaties NOT to send uuencoded binaries to the list (in
the WELCOME file, in the quarterly FAQ, in mailings I send to the
list when people start saying, hey, post that code to the list, etc.)
a subscriber just posted a 1600-line uuencoded binary.

When I told him not to do it again, he gave me a "well, why not?"
whine and I told him why not (and gave him the alternatives to
posting to the list at large).  The worst part about it was that I
suggested he upload the file to an ftp site (ftp.cica.indiana.edu),
and he came back with "why would I want to upload to CICA when it's
already at ftp.microsoft.com?"

I bit my tongue.  Hard.  :)  Then patiently inquired why, if it was
at an ftp site, he felt the need to post it to the list?  (I received
no answer.)

The problem in my case is that for the list in question (ACCESS-L),
usually the minimum size binary that will be floating around is
64KB (the size of an empty or nearly empty Microsoft Access database
container).  I wouldn't waste my time with a SizeLim setting smaller
than the default on my other lists, but this is just too much, particularly
when the digests are running around 800 lines/day and several redistribution
lists are subscribed to the list and to the digest.

Just my thoughts...

BITNET:  NBRINDLE@INDYCMS  --------------------  Internet:  [log in to unmask]
Nathan C. Brindle, Student Activities Office
Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
Staff Advisor, Alpha Phi Omega Nat'l Service Fraternity, Tau Omicron Chapter
List Manager, ACCESS-L, BRTHPRNT, EXCEL-L@INDYCMS and other lists
Disclaimer:  My opinions are my own.  Indiana University can speak for itself.