"H.J. Woltring, fax/tel +31.40.413 744" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Oct 1992 14:34:00 N
Dear fellow LiST-OWNers,

The "moderation conundrum" is, I think, not a very relevant one.  Even on
so-called unmoderated lists, there is quite a bit of moderation going on,
in terms of actions after (in)appropriate postings.  Combinations of private
email to good or bad posters, and posted notes by the `moderators' certainly
fall within the notion of moderation, I think.  Let's call the beast by its
name: are we talking about prior and/or retroactive censorship?

I prefer the term moderator over list owner; after all, what property is
possessed in a list -- is it copyright and if so, owned by whom, since list
owners, at least of lists with subscribe=public, excercise little control over
the contents and expression of the list of subscribers.  Thus, they hardly
give their personal mark to the list of subscribers as required for copy-
rightability to apply (they might edit them, though, to give them a neater
appearance)?

Regards -- Herman J. Woltring
Biomch-L (send=public, subscribe=public, review=private, some files = private)