Sat, 13 Jun 1998 00:01:22 -0500
I anticipate having a number of questions about Topics (I've never messed
with topics before and haven't paid a lot of attention when people have
talked about it).  This first one is a general one for opinions on whether
it can be made to work or not.  I am particularly interested in response
from those who have imposed Topics on a longstanding list which has never
used Topics.

The list is a professional discussion list, AUTOCAT.  Sub is fairly
consistently in the 3,000 - 3,500 range.  However, the actual subscribers
vary greatly as a lot of people sub for a while, sign off for a while,
then sub again (gives me fits resetting people to noreview).

The list is semi moderated so postings are accepted from nonsubscribers.
The threshold is 65 (we exceed it maybe twice every three months).

The primary focus of the list is library cataloging, but we accept
general library items, plus job and meeting announcements.  The only
discrete topics we are proposing are JOB and MEETINGS.  We have a job
posting almost every day, not infrequently 3 - 5.  Meetings are sporadic,
come in huge spates when there is a big library conference.

Many of the meeting items and most of the job items come from nonsubs or
from someone who has subscribed to post the item, so still on review when
they post (unlikely they would put in the topic, I would have to edit),
then unsubed.

Given that I am willing to do the extra editing work how likely is it that
this will work?  What is the success rate when imposing topics on an
established, semi-moderated list with a constantly shifting subscription
list (some constant subscribers, but a lot of in-out)?  Is it worth the
effort?

Detailed questions on the best way to go about it will come later,
just looking for general input right now.

Douglas