Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:04:42 -0500
On 11/12/2004 10:48 AM, Winship wrote:

> Pardon me for asking, but why are you editing your archives this way,
> presumably totally deleting entire items, which may mess up the indexing
> and *will* present an untrue, unrealistic image of activity on the list?
> Sure, I edit the logs sometimes, but only to fix technical problems which
> hinder retrieval.
>
> Wouldn't it be better (simpler and less work) to prevent the "junk" getting
> into the archives in the first place?

This is a religious issue on which there will never be general agreement.
Do we have to have these sermonettes every time this technical question
comes up? What gives you - or me - or anyone else on this list - the
right to tell others how they *MUST* run their lists?

The fact is, the Internet is no longer the neighborly little small-town
community where everybody knows everybody else, and everybody trusts
everybody else (except the old codger on the edge of town), and nobody
locks their doors and windows. Postings which might have been deemed
acceptable by the list owner or moderator a few months ago might now be
viewed by the corporate attorney as a potential source of legal liability.

> By the way, as far as I am concerned there is only one person on this list
> who is entitled to sign messages as simply "Eric":  Eric Thomas.
> By the same token, only Peter Weiss gets to sign his items as simply
> "Pete", etc.

When was this law passed, where is it published, and how do you intend
to enforce it? This has got to be the worst case of arrogance and snobbery
that I have seen on this list. Many people sign their messages with just
their first name, because their full name appears in the 'From:' line of
the message. If you want to pick a fight, fight about something meaningful.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator